Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Viva Las Vegas!

I need to preface this portion of our trip by saying that our 11 hour drive to Las Vegas left us exhausted throughout most of our vacation.  Jess and I thought we were smart by leaving Boise at 8:30 in the evening, hoping the kids would sleep most of the way.  But, Brahm kept everyone awake with his incessant whining about the state of his blanket.  We purposely avoided the Nevada route because of road conditions that called for chains or snow tires.  But while travelling though Utah, we hit a blizzard in Cedar City that lasted for 40 miles.  Ava vomited in an empty soda cup due to car sickness, and our arrival to Las Vegas could not have come soon enough. 

Jess's step-grandparents, Ivan and Frimma, flew in from New Jersey to see us along with other family members.  We spent most of our stay catching up with them along with other loved ones and friends.  We enjoyed eating, laughing, lounging, and more eating!

Some highlights worth mentioning were:
4 course breakfasts
a discussion about the existence of a God with the wife of a well-known atheist and libertarian
Hawaii home movies
the kids terrorizing Gramee's tank full of fish, Darla-style
the fabulous view from Grandma Frimma and Grandpa Ivan's upgraded hotel room
loading up on Grandma and Grandpa Hanks' hand-me-downs destined for D.I.
the joy of watching all of the little cousins play to their hearts' content

My favorite quote from our trip went something like this:
Jess:      "What do you kids think of Las Vegas?"
Simon:   "It's a lot like Mexico."
Jess:      "What do you mean?"
Simon:   "There's trash everywhere."

The kids on the Ethel-M Chocolate factory tour


A factory worker giving Simon bunny ears

   
Ava surveying the selection of chocolates

"I'll give you a bite of my overpriced mint chocolate bar if you give me a bite of your raspberry creme bar."

Brahm enjoying his peanut butter filled chocolate bar while Daddy salivates

Ava, Simon, and Gramee posing in the Cactus garden

Both sets of Grandparents live in Las Vegas along with Jess' only sibling, Laci, and my oldest sister, Whitney.  We had a wonderful time visiting with everyone!

Thank you, family members and friends, for making our stay so pleasant! 

California, here we come......

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a fun time on your trip. I wouldn't mind a trip to the chocolate factory looks yummy. Sorry about the throw up in the car, if it makes you feel better Landon has pucked up on himself at least three times on different trips to Utah. Glad you made it there and back safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see you at church - your kids are adorable. Next time you and the family come down we'll have to try to find some time to get together. I know Brian would love to chat with Jess and I'm sure the kids would have a blast together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you survived the road trip! I never thought of taking the kids to the chocolate factory in Vegas before. Great idea! Did you take them to the cheese factory too? (I think it is in Logan,UT)

    That's funny what your kids thought of Vegas because last time we drove down there Dylan looked out the window at the desert (right before we entered the city)and said "Whoa..it looks like a wasteland here!!" Funny what kids think about things/places.

    Btw-it was great seeing you again and meeting your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete