I am not a sentimental person by any means. I don't get attached to inanimate objects, and I definitely do not hold onto things. With that being said, I have somehow managed to save all of the letters that were ever written to me since the 3rd grade. Letters from my best friend, Becky Pollan, who moved to Texas when I was 9 years old. Letters from my Finnish pen pal, Kaisa. Letters from my mom, my grandma, and my sisters. And, letters from my high school boyfriend, Jess.
As I was reading through Jess' love letters that were written on loose leaf paper with a # 2 pencil and folded into small squares, I couldn't help but reminisce about the simple, carefree life that we lived while dating in our youth.
Mandy Dearest,
......I am so sorry that I didn't carry your books to fifth hour, but I did not hear the bell until the tardy bell. I don't know how to make it up to you - maybe you can think of something.
.....If you have a chance, please call me tonight so I can hear your voice.
.....Are we going to do anything on test days together since we only have half days, or are you going to have to study all day?
......I'll be thinking about you.
Love,
Jess
Ah, to be 18 again and not have a care in the world (except for mid-term exams). That was the easy life-- having Jess carry my books to and from my classes, cheering for him at his soccer and baseball games, going out on dates on the weekend...
Life isn't quite as carefree as it once was, but I wouldn't trade 10 (almost 11) years of marriage and 4 children for the world. I love my sweet Jess!
Happy Valentine's Day!
Monday, February 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Awwwwwwww this is adorable!!!
ReplyDelete