What do post-war America, Vermont, Technicolor and the Haynes sisters have in common?White Christmas.
Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, Vera Ellen. Does Christmas get anymore tweed than that? This 1954 classic was a staple growing up in the Hanks home. And since we were mostly a household of sisters (6 to 1), our favorite song was undoubtedly, “Sisters.” This act was a tough one to follow. Betty and Judy. Feathers and sequins. Girdles and hoop skirts. Wallace and Davis. Any girl who has a sister understands how anthematic this song is:
Sisters, sisters, there were never such devoted sisters.Some of my fondest memories growing up revolve around my sisters. I was fortunate enough to have developed a special relationship with Mandy when we were both newlyweds and next door neighbors some 9 years ago in Provo Utah. And like this film, those years were filled with nostalgia. I'm so fortunate to have such a great friend in my sister.
Never had to have a chaperone, no sir, I'm here to keep my eye on her.
Caring Sharing, every little thing that we are wearing
When a certain gentleman arrived from Rome, she wore the dress and I stayed home.
All kinds of weather, we stick together, the same in the rain or sun.
Two different faces but in tight places we sing and we act as one, aha.
Those who've seen us know that not a thing can come between us.
Many men have tried to split us up but no one can.
Lord, help the Mister, who comes between me and my sister.
And Lord, help the sister, who comes between me and my man!

Posted by Rachel
Great post Rachel! I know that Mandy feels the same way about you!
ReplyDeleteI think the resemblance in the first picture, by the way, is striking (I mean Kala and I could double for Bing and Danny).
I always thought it would be fun to sing "Sisters" with one of my sisters in a ward talent show.
ReplyDeletei always thought it would be so fun to have so many sisters. i always enjoyed being in your house. :)
ReplyDelete