Jess and I are not big TV watchers. We average 1-2 hours a week. Our kids on the other hand LOVE the television. We do not subscribe to cable, therefore they are only interested in PBS programming which isn't too bad. When I was "bed-ridden," the TV saved me. The kids watched it ALL day long while I remained in the fetal position. But, during Christmas break I snapped. I couldn't take any more of the TV. I had Jess remove our bulky, old 32 inch- screened television from the toy room. For the past two weeks we have gone without the TV. And, you know what?--- My kids are imaginative and creative and actually love playing with their toys and reading their books and putting together their puzzles. No longer do I wake up to Arthur or Martha Speaks. I usually am awakened by the sounds of pirates and fairies and race cars and whatever else they happen to be playing with. During Christmas break, Simon and I each took a turn reading one paragraph at a time from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. We have since finished it and have moved onto Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. Yesterday, I found Ava thumbing through all of the pages of her Beatrix Potter books and silently reading them to herself.As a youth, I adored the TV. In fact, people who have food addictions describe their love of eating as "comforting." I found this to be true with the television. It was comforting to watch Full House or Saturday morning infomercials or celebrity news shows or Made-for-TV-movies. Anything that could be watched, I watched it. I've since changed my ways and have shunned the TV for various reasons.
Anyway, I didn't mean for this blog entry to become preachy or self-righteous. The majority of moms out there are much more savvy when it comes to setting rules and scheduling their kids' days around productive activities. I, on the other hand, have a problem as a parent controlling the amount of television watched by my 3 young children. The solution right now has been to confiscate all signs of the TV. We'll see how long that lasts. I hope it is forever. But, I highly doubt that with the way Jess has been eye-ing all of the flat screen TV's at Costco lately. I thought it would be appropriate to end this post with a chant sung by the Oompa Loompa's (in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) in response to the naughty boy, Mike Teavee:
So please, oh please, we beg, we pray,
Go throw your TV set away,
And in its place you can install
A lovely bookshelf on the wall.
Then fill the shelves with lots of books,
Ignoring all the dirty looks,
The screams and yells, the bites and kicks,
And children hitting you with sticks-
Fear not, because we promise you
That, in about a week or two
Of having nothing else to do,
They'll now begin to feel the need
Of having something good to read.
And once they start -oh boy, oh boy!
You watch the slowly growing joy
That fills their hearts. They'll grow so keen
They'll wonder what they'd ever seen
In that ridiculous machine,
That nauseating, foul unclean,
Repulsive television screen!
And later, each and every kid
Will love you more for what you did.
--Roald Dahl
Watch out for that flat screen TV. We never had cable, well once it was included in our rent, before we had kids and then when Madie was a baby but as soon as we had our first house all we had was bunny ears and PBS (which is a least commercial free and safe programming for kids). When we moved here and upgraded from our teeny tiny TV to our new one Jeff came home and confessed that the Best Buy guy convinced him to get cable and here we are two years later and cable junkies. The good news is that the kids loved it at first, they recited commercials (which was totally embarrasing) and once Ethan even said we should eat at IHOP because if you're hungry go to IHOP. For the last little while though the kids have really not been interested in watching the cable they prefer the DVD's we have, which is great since we control what DVD's we let come in. TV watching and kids is defintely a balancing act. Madie during the week doesn't really watch any TV because by the time she comes home it's homework time, snack time, and then it's get dinner ready time. Ethan is allowed to watch a little TV while Landon is napping, and if Landon is totally annoying me we stick in a baby einstiens. It would be interesting to not have it on at all, but I don't know if I'm strong enough for it (sometimes it is a needed sanity break for the kids to watch it and let me get something done)the kids would probably do fine. Good luck with not getting a new one, but I am sure it will happen eventually and then it's just finding a good balance. Sorry this post is so long, but it's a good discussion to have.
ReplyDeleteYou will love it. We did end up getting a flat screen(Sam's club open box special) We don't have any kind if antena hooked up at all, but our netflix is piped in through Chuck's xbox so we can choose from our DVD collection and the watch-it-now selections on the weekends. With the kids in public school this year, I find there really just isn't time in the day for it anyway.(I applaud your fortitude with a toddler in the house). Sometimes I wonder what jokes I'm not getting or what might be happening on the news locally that I've missed, but we are all happy, busy, and content.
ReplyDeletePlus, i spend plenty of time online to make up for it. I {heart} the internet.
i think that if martiens had invaded, i wouldn't even get the news... oh well. :) i like it that way. TV is not our addiction. now, what to do about this love hate relationship with this hp!?!?
ReplyDelete