Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Movie Recommendations

I love watching movies.  And, I love watching movies that make me laugh, cry, or inspire me to be a better person.  I've made a list of some films that I've either seen recently or that I've watched in the last 20 years that I really enjoy.

Comedy




Get a plate of cookies ready when you watch this Woody Allen movie starring Tracey Ullman and Hugh Grant.  Tracy Ullman steals the show with her Brooklyn accent and her over-the-top taste in fashion.  My only reservation with this PG rated movie is that the Lord's name is taken frequently. 




Who in Idaho doesn't like Napoleon Dynamite?  Kip is by far my favorite character.  Jess does a great impression of him along with Napoleon and Uncle Rico.
Rated PG








Historical Costume Dramas




Based in England, this movie follows William Wilberforce, a politician, who fought for the abolition of slavery. 
Rated PG


This is one of my favorite movies to date.  It is a 5 or 6 part series (if I remember correctly).  If you love American history or if you are a true blue patriot, I highly recommend this miniseries of sorts.  Again, I do have some reservations that I would like to make mention of.  There is a scene where a man is stripped naked and tarred and feathered.  Also, John Adams' daughter undergoes a mastectomy where her breast is bare. 
Rated NR





Call me weird, but I have been infatuated with this movie ever since I was 13 years old.  It was made in the 1980's, but filmed in black and white.  A young Anthony Hopkins plays the doctor who treats "the elephant man."  This is definitely a tear jerker!  It is based on a true story. 
Rated PG




Great love story.  Beautiful costumes.   
Rated PG











Oldies but Goodies



The American Film Institute listed Citizen Kane as the #1 movie ever made in the last 100 years.  This is one of my all time favorite films.




A Star is Born is surprisingly dark and somber for the time that it was made.  Do not confuse this with the Barbara Streisand version.  




When I was in the 8th grade, I had the hugest crush on Jimmy Stewart.  I loved all of his movies, especially this one.  




This movie takes me back to a lazy Sunday after Church, watching a fun Hitchcock thriller with my Mom.  I love Grace Kelly and would recommend The Country Girl too, which she won an Oscar for.  








Foreign



When my sisters came home from college to visit, they had more refined tastes in music and movies.  One of the films that they introduced me to was Babette's Feast. 
Rated G. (Danish)


I know everyone has seen their share of Holocaust movies.  But, the horror of the concentration camps is seen through the eyes of a young boy who happens to be the son of a Nazi in this film.  My husband absolutely hated the ending.  But, in all honesty, there is no Holocaust movie with a happy ending. 
Rated PG-13
(This really isn't considered a foreign film because it is in English, but I put it in this category anyway)





Another tear jerker.  Get the kleenex out for you and your significant other.
Rated G (Chinese)




This is one of those movies that has a twist and will keep you guessing until the very end.  I watched it by myself and was so shocked by the outcome that I watched it a second time the very next day with my husband.  
Rated PG-13 (French)






Inspirational



This made-for-cable movie documents the life of a pediatric neuro-surgeon named Ben Carson.  Watch it, and then watch the special features afterwards where the actual Ben Carson is interviewed.  He is an amazing man with an amazing talent.  
Rated PG          

                    



.....and I almost forgot

Absolutely LOVED this movie-- the music, the acting, the screenplay, the costumes. 
Rated PG  









What are your favorite movies that you would recommend?

12 comments:

  1. Great list, Mandy! All except the Boy in Striped Pajamas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to include Milos Forman's Amadeus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, what didn't you like about The Boy in the Striped Pajamas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy crap mandy.. the boy in stripped pajamas is pretty much the saddest movie ever. i balled so hard. i actually just watched it this past weekend on the laptop.. my kids were worried about me cause i was crying so hard! i kept telling them it's ok, it's just a sad movie. don't think i'll ever watch it again! it's one of those.. for me anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will have to give some of these a try. When Jeff and I were first married and had a super old TV and no cable or antenna, we decided to try watching as many of the AFI's 100 best movies. We actually watched quite a few and had a great time doing it. Those old movies are pretty fun we had some good laughs from some of them, but it's fun to see the classics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laci, watch Small Time Crooks this weekend. You will get a good laugh. It is a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandy, I just ordered John Adams for Kala for father's day! You have me that intrigued. As for the Boy in Striped Pajamas, you couldn't pay me to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU FORGOT TO ADD AUTUMN IN NEW YORK!!!!!!!! YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel, you gave me a good laugh. We really need to get together and watch that ridiculous movie again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy in the Striped Pajamas = worst movie ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. mandy! I love your blog, and you have left a few off the list..especially one's I watched over at your house as a kid- Raise the Red Lantern and Room with a View,

    ReplyDelete