Drawn by Simon, 2010
I must admit, I do feel a little sheepish about having a day devoted to me. I am by no means a perfect mom. I let my temper fly. I do raise my voice more often than I would like. And, I am one of the most impatient and critical people I know. The cleanliness of my house is far from temple-like, and sometimes I devote too much of my time to insignificant things.
But, I am good about ironing Simon's clothes (even his jeans) every morning before he goes to school. I love to budget, I love to save, and I believe that I manage my family's resources wisely. I love attending church. All trips that we take bring us home by Saturday night so that we can attend church on Sunday. Otherwise, we observe the Sabbath and attend church services where we are vacationing. I do not swear, nor have I ever sworn. And, I am very careful about the kind of music, television, and other forms of media that I allow in my home. Most of the time, Jess and I watch PG rated movies only.
Obviously, I have many things to work on as a mother. In the scriptures we learn that we are given weaknesses to humble ourselves. But, we are promised that we can overcome these weaknesses through the help of the Lord and make them our strengths. Hopefully, one day I will be known for my sweet disposition, my gentle way with the kids, and the soft spoken words that leave my mouth. In the meantime, I am learning things line upon line, precept upon precept.
While reflecting on Motherhood, I decided that one of my favorite things about this role and calling is hearing my children call me Mommy. Last night, Brahm woke up in a very delirious state and called out, "Mommy" (and Daddy). I found him in the hall crying. When I picked him up, he clung to me very tightly and repeated the words, "Mommy...Mommy....Mommy." Last Thursday, I had a particularly tough day. While bathing Brahm, I was exhausted and overly emotional. I began to cry. Brahm noticed my tears, and he began to cry too. Through his tears he sadly repeated the words, "Mommy...crying. Mommy....crying." It was sweet and heartbreaking at the same time.
I love being a mom, especially to my Simon, Ava, and Brahm. I could not have been blessed with better children. They have brought me the most happiness, the most comedic relief, and the most worry. Every feeling and emotion of mine has been heightened because of them. Being a mother slowly extracts the natural man that lies in all of us and brings us closer to our Heavenly Father. There is no room for selfish desires when you have 3 little ones to care for.
I am most grateful for my role as Mother.
Written by Simon, 2010


What a beautiful post, one that all moms can relate to! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and hopefully the pregnancy is getting better. It's always worth it in the end!!!
ReplyDelete