Poster created by Simon and Ava
When I was I child, my sisters and I thought that we were quite the entrepreneurs by selling lemonade. Our tactics for drawing attention to our business were unconventional. We faked cardiac arrest on the sidewalk where our stand was set up and frantically waved down cars to stop and help. This tactic worked. Cars stopped immediately, and then we miraculously all stood in position and asked the drivers if they wanted to buy a cup of lemonade. Confused and angry, they peeled away without patronizing our little business.
**********
I encouraged Simon and Ava to start a little lemonade stand this summer. They seemed quite excited as they created their own sign and helped me set up all the supplies and goods outside on our front lawn. I had the ingenious idea of making freshly squeezed lemonade. I do admit, the lemonade was great but also very pricey (lemons cost way more than a lemonade mix).
Ava's responsibilities included scooping the Sonic pellet ice into the cups and occasionally running into the house to retrieve the homemade ice cream sandwiches from the freezer for the hungry patrons. Simon was in charge of draining the lemonade into the cups, adding a flexi straw, and taking/counting the money.
We hit some bumps in the road that we will need to correct before the next lemonade stand:
Simon didn't have the patience to fill the cups all the way up with lemonade.
Simon didn't have the patience to fill the cups all the way up with lemonade.
Ava hid from the customers behind the columns in our front yard.
Brahm stole lemonade at every chance he could get.
I caught Simon drinking lemonade straight from the container with his mouth over the spicket. I immediately disinfected the "contaminated" area and gave him a good talking to.
Brahm stole lemonade at every chance he could get.
I caught Simon drinking lemonade straight from the container with his mouth over the spicket. I immediately disinfected the "contaminated" area and gave him a good talking to.
After a couple of hours, we closed shop, cleaned up, and counted the money that the kids had earned--$7.50. Split between the two of them, they each received $3.75. I thought that they did really well, especially for a Monday.


And take it from me, Mondays are the TOUGHEST day of business. Great job, Simon and Ava!
ReplyDeleteI recognize that lantern and shepherd's hook!