Thursday, March 21, 2013

Brahm's bout with bad language

Brahm and Nicholas

Brahm is such a tender-hearted little boy.  He shows love and empathy like no other child I've ever known.  When I cry, he cries.  When a sibling gets in trouble, he feels the need to make things right for them.  He loves to hug and kiss and cuddle. 

This last week, he began using the D-word.  I have no clue where he picked up on it.  Jess and I don't swear- not even a little.  He only watches cartoons on PBS or Netflix.  His neighbor friends don't use bad language. 

When asked where he learned it, his response was, "The Cat in the Hat."

We were puzzled by this.  Upon further questioning, he explained that the Cat in the Hat visited a dam that beavers constructed.

That's all fine and good, but where did he learn to use the word 'damn' in this context: "Simon, stop playing your damn violin!  I can't hear the TV!" 

Jess and I are still puzzled.  I would be horrified to find out that he used this language at the neighbors' houses. 

When I was 8 years old, I learned the word 'bastard' from watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.  Not realizing that it was a bad word, I called my friend, Becky Pollan, a bastard many times.....in her own home.  I also told her that she had AIDS, but that is a different story.  Oh, the follies of our youth! 

Hopefully, Brahm will outgrow this very quickly.  Otherwise, a mouth full of soap and restricted Wii privileges lay in store for him. 

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Though I've never been quite as pure as you in any area, I'm really not one for swears myself. But this word is my favorite. (And ass. I really like ass. But that's it. I "swear") I sincerely hope there is a playback button in heaven. I'd love to know where he picked it up :) I'd also love to see the look on your face the first time you heard him say it. (And I've always loved that story of you calling your friend a bastard!)

    ReplyDelete