You know what I love most about this recession? I never get credit card offers in the mail anymore. I used to get at least 2 a day.
I never get bills in the mail either, because I pay every single one of them online.
The only thing that I find in my mailbox on a regular basis is a Netflix DVD. But today I received something new. I opened up the Saltzer Medical Group envelope to find a bill. But not just any bill! It was a doctor's bill for the parents of Ava Warren to pay $82.85 for earwax removal. The last time I checked, it costs $10 to buy a bottle of Debrox at Walgreens to unclog your ears. But why would I want to do that when I could initially pay a $20 copay for my child to be seen by her pediatrician?
The pediatrician suggested (after looking into Ava's ear and finding that he could not see her eardrum) that he remove the earwax. He didn't give me a price list of what this procedure would cost. Doctors never do. Instead, he pulled out an instrument that looked like a crochet hook and spent a few minutes gently pulling out orange colored balls of wax.
One month later, I get a bill in the mail. The Cerumen (earwax) removal alone was $114.00. The office visit was another $111.00. My insurance barely paid for half.
Am I a little dense, or does this seem a bit excessive?
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Isn't that what the visit is for?!?!
ReplyDeleteI'm with you.
The whole idea of "well check" visits have completely spoiled doctors. We are supposed to pay just to be told our kids are fine, so obviously, if they actually have to DO something, we SHOULD expect to pay extra.
Don't get me started ;)
That is ridiculous! Luckily every time Xander had to get his ears cleaned out, it was at a scheduled well visit. I could swear he needs them cleaned out now since he can never seem to hear me, but no way am I going to pay out of pocket for that (since we haven't reached his deductible yet)
ReplyDelete