Monday, September 28, 2009
Word to the Wise
Word to the Wise: Do not work with jalapenos without gloves. Today I decided to juice all of our homegrown jalapenos, so that I can eventually make a hot pepper jelly with them. With bare hands, I de-seeded and removed all of the ribs from them. Then I threw these hot peppers in my electric juicer. The air from the juiced jalapenos was so strong and pungent that I couldn't stop coughing. After everything was said and done, I cleaned up the mess and washed my hands. But, my hands began to burn. I washed my hands at least 4 times. I tried to ignore the burning and began munching on some Oreos. I licked my fingers and they tasted spicy! Ahhhhh! What have I done? I spoke to a neighbor about it. She had apparently done the same thing and told me that she couldn't put her contacts in for 4 days because the oils from the jalapenos remained on her fingers for that duration of time. So, the moral of this story is-- wear gloves when working with any sort of hot pepper!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, Mandy! I've experienced that after just slicing half for guac, I can't imagine a garden full. I hope it passes soon!
ReplyDeleteouch!
ReplyDeleteYes, we all must learn that the hard way. Get yourself some numbing spray for burns and itches and for the next few days you will have to cook and clean your house like the armless woman who was once a guest on the Richard Simmons's Show (please tell me you remember that life-changing episode).
ReplyDelete